Sunday, November 14, 2010

Peoples in other places do it, why not us?

I'm trying to incorporate 5 to 7 servings of vegetables a day in my diet -- quite an uppance from the usual North American 2 - 3 a day.

In the early days of summer, I'd just go picking in the garden and do up a stir-fry with tofu or single egg omelet for breakfast. Sprouts with a splash of dressing also are great. Really added zip to my energy level at the start of the day.

November is here and though we're currently in a warmish spell (still frosty in the morning though), I know colder times are a-coming. I had stashed a bunch of tomatoes in the freezer back in October for future canning. A few days ago I got them out, defrosted them during the day, and made pizza sauce in the evening. In the course of defrosting I poured off a lot of tomato stock -- great soup base.

I still have tomatoes ripening, chard and parsley growing, and squash in storage. Those and the stock made a great vegetable soup. I froze half of it and the rest I'm using for meals and snacks. There's no starch or fat in the soup, so it is quite low-calorie. A cup of this rounds out an oatmeal (cooked with apples and garnished with yogurt rather than milk) breakfast nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment